| Outdoor Pursuits |
Cycle Tour 2017 - Canada & Alaska
[ including Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, British Columbia, Yukon Territory, and Alaska]
Home Page > Bicycle Touring > North America > Canada & Alaska >
Due to the length of the tour, the trip report is split into the following pages:
- Some statistics of the Tour
- Number of Punctures: 7
- Steepest Measured Road Grade in Canada: 8% (a lot less than you're made to believe, but doesn't include the Top of the World Hwy!)
- Total kilometres cycled: 8,300 km, made up as follows:
- Total kilometres cycled in Ontario: 2,511 km
- Total kilometres cycled in Manitoba: 631 km
- Total kilometres cycled in Saskatchewan: 812 km
- Total kilometres cycled in Alberta: 1,346 km
- Total kilometres cycled in British Columbia: 1,033 km
- Total kilometres cycled in Yukon: 1,161 km
- Total kilometres cycled in Alaska: 806 km
- Campgrounds with services: 58
- Campgrounds with limited services (no showers, but with pit toilets): 14
- Bush Camps: 27
- Hotels: 9
- Interesting Fauna Sightings
- Black Bear and cub
- Moose and calf
- Grizzly Bear
- Stone sheep
- Mountain Goat
- Bald Eagle
- Chinook Salmon
- Arctic Ground Squirrel
- Canadian Province Vehicle Rego Plate Slogans
- Ontario: Yours to Discover
- Manitoba: Friendly Manitoba
- Saskatchewan: Land of the Living Skies
- Alberta: Wild Rose Country
- British Columbia: Beautiful British Columbia
- Yukon: The Klondike
- "Be a Hero with your campfire: Soak, Stir, Repeat - Until cold to touch" - Yukon Wildfire Management
- Judith's Ode to Canada (Sung to the tune of a random tweety bird heard along the way)
There's a... moose in your kaboose
And a bear in my underwear
A million black flies lie dead in the tent
But we're too brave for a cabin to rent!
Oh! Canada! Oh Canada!
We're pedalling across you now!
Oh! Canada! Oh Canada!
Home of the big PowWow!
We cycled through Wawa
Home of the Wawa Goose
If we'd seen a moose for every goose
We'd be so happy make no excuse!
We cycled through White River
Where Winnie-the-Pooh began
I don't know why bears like honey
I guess maple syrup costs too much money!
We cycled in a cloud of bugs
They didn't help us progress
Slowly up the hills they're biting in the armpits
Causing a lot of stress!
We cycled across the prairies
They told us we'd be bored to tears
But we found the scenery varied
And the headwinds were all that we'd feared!
We cycled through a smoky haze
Couldn't see Banff for miles
Then the sky cleared and the mountains appeared
And we were full of smiles!
We cycled the Alaska Highway
From Dawson Creek to Whitehorse
Starting at Mile Zero don't be a hero
We'll get there in the end of course!
We cycled the Klondike Highway
From Whitehorse to Dawson City
Top of the World, Alaska bound
So that's the end of my ditty!